21 was an interesting year for me. Not because I was of legal age, but because of some other things that happened in my life. I learned a lot this year, a whole lot. That’s what led me to write this post for my 22nd birthday, not to try to teach someone anything but to have a place where I can come back for a reminder.
And thank you to all the lovely people who have wished me happy birthday this week and today. I am so incredibly blessed to have everyone in my life whether it’s my blog friends or people I know in person.
Anyways let’s begin…
1. You can’t make everyone happy. You can try as hard as you want, but eventually you have to do what’s best for you.
2. Being 21 is expensive. Drinks are expensive. Trips to Vegas are expensive. Save yo cash money $$$.
3. You need girlfriends, not a lot just a handful. Quality, loyal, honest girlfriends who you can go to at your lowest low, but the next moment double over in stomach aching laughter with.
4. You can’t buy cheap high heels. Go to Dillards. Pay $80 for a pair of high heels. Your feet will love you.
5. You don’t need toxic people in your life. People who gossip about you and aren’t trustworthy have no place in your life. Bye.
6. 4 years flies by fast. Don’t wish your life away because like Ferris Bueller says, “If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
7. I truly met my best friends through my sorority. You’ll reaffirm this when you are sitting in your bathroom crying because you don’t want your best friends to graduate and leave.
8. It’s okay to eat Taco Bell at 2am and listen to Christmas music, just not every night.
9. Take care of your body and make it a priority. Fuel your body with real food and spend some time at the gym.
10. Sleep over at your best friends house. Eat brunch together. Watch movies together. Someday you’ll miss this.
11. But allow yourself some alone time. It’s more rejuvenating and refreshing than you realize.
12. Not everyone has the same “life plan” as you and there’s nothing wrong with that. Just because you’re not ready to get married and don’t plan on staying in your hometown doesn’t mean it’s wrong to think that way.
13. If you want to make something happen in your life, it’s up to you to take action and make it happen.
14. I thought I’d have my life figured out by the time I turned 22, but I don’t and that’s okay.
15. Stop saying “I’m sorry” for things you don’t need to apologize for.
16. Say what you need to say. Be honest about what you’re feeling whether it’s good or bad. It could save you and someone else a lot of heartache.
17. It’s not the material things that matter. You will find that the people you surround yourself with can bring you more joy than something store bought ever can.
18. Don’t forget about your parents. They brought you into this world, so let them be a part of your life.
19. Don’t take life so seriously. Let your hair down and let it all go.
20. You aren’t like anyone else. Appreciate what makes you unique and chase what you are passionate about, not what someone else says you should.
21. God is my rock and my refuge. Even when it felt like He wasn’t listening to me, he was. I just had to wait for his own timing.
“The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need…He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid for you are close beside me.” Psalm 23: 1,3-4